Backsplash Battles: The benefits of glass mosaic backsplashes (and more!)
Source: Jillian Rotondaro Date: June 28, 2017
As you begin to host your summer barbecues, your kitchen will start to become full of good food, company, and of course, the inevitable mess. Cleaning your countertops leaves you face-to-face with your backsplash; a kitchen accessory that often times becomes the striking feature of the room. Whether it is an assembly of polished white subway tiles, or a collage of porous stone, your backsplash is unique to you.
But what if that assortment of stones no longer appeals to you? Boring backsplash got you down? The history of backsplash is a long one, changing shapes, colors, and designs everyday. Solve the kitchen conflict with glass mosaics, a new trend that can increase your home value and add an extra pop to your kitchen.
Glass Mosaic - Herringbone New Beige
Here are a few reasons why this hot commodity might appeal to you:
- With so many styles available, it’s unlikely to find a kitchen exactly like yours. If you’re looking to increase your ‘wow’ factor, now’s your chance. Glass mosaics come in many different ranges of colors, styles, and combinations, meaning it’s likely you’ll find one that not many homeowners’ have. You can even create custom blends unlike no other; check out our assortment of mosaic template designs for inspiration!
- You can still stick to neutrals. Your first thought after reading ‘mosaics’ might be similar to an art exhibit in the MOMA: colorful, intricate patterns, that never fail to catch the eye. Although mosaics are guaranteed to catch the eyes of your guests, it doesn’t have to be through the bright, interwoven colors, or patterns of small tiles. These glass mosaics can also be available in large “tile” sizes too. Your backsplash can still dazzle with soft, neutrals such as white, creamy colors. Regardless of the choice of color, glass mosaics will give your kitchen a high-end look.
- It’s green! No, not the color-- but choosing glass mosaics for your kitchen is an environmentally friendly choice. It’s a no-brainer that glass is a 100% natural product, and now there are many tile options that are made from recycled glass.
- No heavy maintenance required. The ‘glass’ in ‘glass mosaics’ might make you nervous, but there is no need to fear the new trend. Glass tiles are durable, and are made to last without strenuous upkeep or heavy maintenance. In fact, they are even relatively easy to clean. Forget about the grout for a second; glass is a soft, smooth material that is easy to wipe down. It is clean and hygienic, is made to withstand being submerged in water (in case you were wondering). As for the grouting, as long as you clean and maintain it, your design will last as long as your home.
- The sky’s the limit. Glass mosaics are known for being incredibly versatile, so why stop at your kitchen? Add them to your showers, pools, even fireplaces. Whether it’s a simple shower niche of mosaics or a decked out hot tub, glass mosaics can be used almost anywhere. Let your imagination (and design) run wild!